Thursday, December 5, 2013

Just life as we now know it


So this is just a random mishmash of things that we have been doing.  Instead of Kennywood or Lagoon Day, Jeremy's office has Disneyland Day...yay for us!  It was the first time either of us have been to EuroDisney and we both might have shed a little tear because as soon as we entered it felt just like a bit of America.  It was clean, there were ample bathrooms and water fountains (almost unheard of in Paris), plus people were all pretty happy.  You still knew you were in Europe because at least 1/2 of everyone was smoking..and don't even get me started on that subject...and around kids..but anyway
Here are some pics!




Sweet bliss!





I know I have posted the Albert Kahn park on here about 20 times, but it really is the best little secret in Paris.  I was so lucky to have Linda (one of my favorite old students) here on the BYU study abroad.  It was so fun to have her over for Sunday dinners and to be able to watch over her as a surrogate mother.  Sadly, I didn't get one picture of us together...lame!  Here is Linda..quite literally a ray of sunshine!








Next time you are at the grocery store and buy some Lucky Charms and think "wow, cereal is expensive", just imagine Jeremy and I spending 8+ Euros...or $11 for a box.  I mean, ridiculous!
Our house is just a block from the Seine and as I was taking a walk one day I came upon this little plaque.  It is dedicated to Lawrence R. Kelly of Altoona, PA...shout out to my homeland!





This little passageway is in the 16th, in a neighborhood called "Passy"..someday I am going to go down those stairs and see what is there!


Sometimes in conversation people tell me they are jealous of me living in Paris.  While it is a very cool experience, just imagine that for a simple church meeting on Sunday morning this is our way to get there and back:

1) Short walk
2) Bus ride
3) Metro 
4) Train (see below)
5) Walk about 1 mile - in the pouring rain
6) Arrive at a meeting center...wet and a little tired
7) Have nice church meeting, in French
8) Say hello to friends
9) Walk back to train
10) Train
11) Metro
12) Bus
13) Walk home

I think Sunday is only a day of rest for people in America, with cars!




I did leave the coolest part out about that church meeting...it was directly across from Versailles (you can faintly see the palace in the background), so that is pretty awesome!

I really missed the fall in the states this year.  Most of the trees in Paris don't turn vibrant colors, but a few did and I truly appreciated those few trees.



This is my new friend Ashley.  She is the au pair for the Bishop's family and we get together a couple times a week if possible.  We went to Sacre Coeur and Montmartre a few weeks ago before it got too cold.





Au Clair de la Lune cafe - for all the Debussy or Twilight fans!

Last week I went to my regular grocery store and they put out all their calendars for 2014 and what was the biggest display...scenes of Moab, Utah!  It totally cracked me up...funny enough, no calendars with the Eiffel Tower on the front, I bet you could find them in Utah though!



My husband is very sweet and buys me flowers, pretty huh?


My sister Kerri was asking me what my neighborhood looked like the other day on the phone, so I took some pictures.  The is pretty much views from my block.


This is the street entrance to my apartment, but you can't see my house.  It is tucked in between and behind those two buildings through the black gate.





A month ago we made plans to have our Filipino friends over and they insisted on making all of their native food and bringing it over.  It was delicious and the easiest dinner party I have ever thrown.  It was great to have them!  From left to right is Rosario, Rosario, Josie and Lala (who is not Filipino, but from Madagascar.)




They made so much food we had over the missionaries and their friend.


Things are starting to look festive around Paris, especially the store front windows...I will try to take pictures of the good ones!


On a final note, would ANY of you eat a "Double SHINY Bacon Burger"...I mean, could that sound more gross?  Oh, McDonalds, why?!  Don't you have someone in America that you could run that by before advertising it?


2 comments:

  1. Loved this post. I like seeing what you do and where you are on the normal days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the Picts Aimee! And Disney looks so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete